What is a MesoDome?
A MesoDome is a computer controlled robotic camera dome that mounts to the top of your vehicle, and provides up to a 360° view. All MesoDome camera domes are controlled by the MesoDome Controller, a Windows based tornado tracking and camera management application. The acrylic, stainless, steel, and aluminum construction provide lightweight strength built to withstand harsh weather conditions, year after year.
The MesoDome Storm is a third generation camera dome incorporating the latest technology to produce an effective, strong, and stable tracking solution. The Storm uses a 14" acrylic dome and has enough space to accommodate standard small handheld camcorders, or a double 3D GoPro camera. This dome is used by national media networks as well as local television sources. It offers the most versatility of any dome we offer.
The Mini MesoDome - GoPro Edition is a small camera dome designed for use with a GoPro camera. These domes use the same design as the Mini MesoDome, but modified to work with a GoPro camera. Standard 180° rotation with 360° rotation available. Many mid western television stations use this to stream live video. This is our most popular dome.
The Mini MesoDome is a smaller and simpler camera dome designed for chasers on a budget. It uses a 720p webcam and the same powerful controller software. This dome is popular with storm chasers and groups. It has withstood baseball size hail without a scratch.
- If you can't find the right size or shape, we offer customized domes. Our hardware and software can be adapted to build domes as large as 30" tall and 60" wide.
How does it work?
A MesoDome camera dome is connected to a Windows based PC with a USB cable. The included MesoDome Controller application interfaces with the electronics in the dome, and a serial GPS connection from your GPS. After following a calibration procedure the dome is aware of its location, and the camera heading. This opens the door to automated tracking that "locks on" to the GPS location selected.
There are multiple methods to control the camera pan and tilt. Some methods include, a wireless Xbox style joystick, flight stick joystick, click able buttons, or clicking on a simulated dome image. Right click on the moving map display and your camera will automatically track the target. Track a moving target while moving. Read more.
What are the benefits of a MesoDome?
- Up to 450° of total possible pan servo rotation.
- Weather resistant construction with replaceable seals.
- Map based tracking - drag the pin over a map to aim your camera!
- Automatic tracking keeps the camera "Locked on" while you drive.
- Live preview window assists aiming your MesoDome.
- Replaceable parts - many stocked by MesoDome.
- Modular electronic construction.
- Control most dome functions with any Windows compatible joystick.
- Customizable joystick button mapping.
- Customizable toolboxes allow flexibility for all screen sizes.
What value does the MesoDome bring to storm chasers?
- Don't miss anything with up to a 360° view.
- Keep your shot in frame.
- Off-loads some of the video positioning responsibilities to the computer, so you can focus on driving.
- No need to get out and tripod. With a MesoDome, your vehicle is the tripod.
- Get the edge over other storm chasers' footage.
- Watch "blind spots" easily.
- Software updates will continue to improve tornado acquisition.
- Amazing time lapse footage.
- Stream your video live with any third party streaming solution!
Updated 01-11-2015 B.E.